Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A New Years' Challenge

The January issue of The Writer came to my house on the weekend of December 8 and there was one article in it that really spoke to me. It was called "Your Journal, Your Self" by T.F. Joyce. The premise is a reminder that writers should be true to themselves by keeping a journal that really chronicles their thoughts, feelings, experiences, and most importantly, captures their voice, their true self.

The part of the article that really got to me was that the writer was explaining their own tendency to "cloak" their journal entries in code languages, third person narration, etc., for the sake of anonymity  and I can completely relate to feeling that need, but it's true, when you look back, there's a disappointment in the lack of frankness, the masked self, the missing pieces.


My New Years' challenge to myself is to keep a real, unguarded journal of myself. I want to capture my voice, nourish it, make it my own. I bought myself a beautiful journal -- which always is a great incentive for me -- and I've already started writing in it, because I don't believe in New Years' resolutions. If I want to do it, I start doing it. So that's what I did!

Who's in it with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment