Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Copyright Infringement a Problem for Independent Designers

Lately it seems like lots of independent designers are complaining about having their designs "ripped off" by look-alike artists. That's maddening for artists who spend hours and days conceiving ideas, executing them, assembling them, and often customizing them for buyers. As a designer, I specialize in custom designs, with very few appearing in the "ready to ship" category on my shop. I love working with a buyer on a custom design that will reflect their spirit and desires. Brides, bridesmaids, prom-goers, performers, lovers of the beautiful...whatever you are, I want to make you what makes you say "YES! That is me!"

If you're looking to create or start your own business as a designer, I highly recommend using existing artists for inspiration--honoring them, as it were, like a concert pianist might listen to Mozart or like a writer might read the Brontes--but do not copy them.

Copying destroys everyone! It destroys the novelty of the creator and the promise the custom designs will indeed be one of a kind. It negates the hard work the designer put into their creation--and the design process is different for everyone, but mine usually consists in part of sketching, pinning on my board, rearranging, walking away, rearranging again, photographing, reviewing, and eventually hand pressing and gluing (both of which often means burned fingers!), careful sewing (lots of pin pricks!) and more photographing and modeling...and that's just the prototype! I may spend hours creating one piece, but what happens when a bride contacts me and says, "GORGEOUS! ...can I get that in scarlet? and how about a different kind of flower?" Then it's back to the drawing board.

Creating designs that come from your own lovely, creative mind is such a wonderful feeling...TRY IT! Don't succumb to the temptation to copy someone else's designs when you have your own potential.

Artists unite...by staying off each others' toes :)

So, in the spirit of this, I invite you to stick around for a few sneak previews of my upcoming designs! Click here for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment