Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Good Woman

It's no secret...I love Oscar Wilde. The tales of decadence and delight, overindulgence and iniquity. They are fascinating! Who wants to read tales about perfect people, beautiful people, who never have troubles? I'd rather hear tales of beautiful people who do beautiful things and disgraceful things all at once. Stories where people suffer and struggle and fear, while enjoying life and being beautiful on the surface.

I watched A Good Woman this past week. The film features two favorite actors: Stephen Campbell Moore and Charlize Theron, but it also features two terrible actors: Helen Hunt and whoever plays Lord Windermere.

The story is minimal, covering only a little piece of a story, and as a viewer, I find myself cheering for Lord Darlington, the charming playboy, more than for Lord Windermere. It's folly of course, to want the lovely bride to leave the man she married, but that's merely the film. Now I intend to read the play Lady Windermere's Fan. I know I've begun it, but it didn't strike me quite the same way without the understanding that Lord Darlington was playing by Stephen Campbell Moore. That helps everything along quite nicely.





This film is on Netflix if anyone is interested in checking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment