Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dryer Hedgehogs

As a new housewife, I spend a lot of time figuring out how to save time doing housework. (Ironic, isn't it? I assume it will pay off in the future.) I'm also determined to find ways to save steps! I have a full time job, and although I work from home, I don't have time to stop working throughout the day to do housework. In fact, the only times I have tried to "kill two birds with one stone," so to speak, have resulted in disaster. (Once I tried to boil a toothbrush... I figured I'd get the water boiling at least and then the phone rang and I forgot about it. The result? A small kitchen fire. No big deal. Except I'm still scraping black plastic-dust off the blinds and vents. It just never goes away!)

Yeah, I'm woman enough to admit that I make mistakes. After all, making mistakes is often the best way to figure out the worst, and subsequently the best, way of doing things in your home!

So, housekeeping takes place between the hours of 6pm and 12am now. It's fine. I'm a night person, and I'm much more motivated to do laundry, wash the toilet, and make dinner when I can put my whole heart into it. (Yeah, I'm one of those women. It's a genetic disorder. Just ask my mom.)


My most recent housekeeping-corner-cutting attempt was really not corner cutting so much as budget-cutting. I bought these cute "dryer hedgehogs" from ModCloth, because they're supposed to soften fabric while cutting cost and eliminating allergy symptoms caused by fabric softeners. So, I tried them!

My testing environment wasn’t controlled enough, I don’t think, because our apartment is very dry during the cooler months of the year. I tossed the hedgehogs into the dryer instead of a dryer sheet and the blankets were so staticky that they sparked when I tried to pull them out! I couldn’t tell if they were soft or not. I ended up throwing a dryer sheet into the wash and starting over. It’s not urgent for me since I don’t have allergies to fabric softener, although the liquid kind is really concentrated and does give me itchy skin.

Conclusion: Another test must be done when it’s humid outside in order for me to determine an official “yea” or “nay.”

Has anyone else ever tried these? Leave a comment and let me know what your experience was!

No comments:

Post a Comment